1. Basic environmental philosophy
As a manufacturer of high-quality silicon wafers for semiconductors and of quartz crucibles, SUMCO has established the following action guidelines and is committed to self-initiated and sustained environmental conservation activities to pass on the Earth's irreplaceable environment to future generations.
2. Environmental action guidelines
- Through our business activities, we shall pursue activities with an emphasis placed on the following points.
- We shall act to conserve electricity and other energies consumed by our business activities, thereby curbing emissions of greenhouse gases.
- We shall strive to reduce waste and increase the recycling and reuse rates.
- We shall strive to reduce chemical substances used in our business activities.
- We shall thoroughly manage harmful chemical substances and waste, thereby reducing the risks to the environment.
- We shall abide by environment-related laws and regulations, bylaws and other agreed requirements.
- We shall strive to prevent environmental pollution in our entire business activities and undertake efforts to protect the global environment and coexist in harmony with local communities.
- We shall define environmental objectives and targets, and by periodically reviewing these objectives and targets, shall promote continuous improvement of our environmental management system.
- We shall make these policies known to all employees within SUMCO and disclose information internally and externally.
Environmental Improvement Initiatives
We have defined the following environmental targets on the basis of our Environmental Policies and the results of periodical environmental impact assessments. According to these targets, all of our manufacturing bases are working to reduce environmental loads and undertaking various environmental improvement initiatives.
|Action items||Management indicators||Targets for 2016||Targets for 2017|
|1. Reduction of CO2emissions||Unit production||1.1%||0.9%|
|2. Reduction of chemical substances use||1.0%||0.8%|
|3. Reduction of industrial waste||1.7%||0.9%|
|4. Reduction of water consumption||1.1%||0.2%|
- *The results for the previous year are used as the benchmarks.
Environmental Report has been integrated into CSR Report in 2013.
Please see "2. CSR Report" of "CSR Management".