Combating Global Warming
To help prevent global warming, the SUMCO Group identifies both external and internal challenges to preventing climate change based on the Company's business goals/Environmental Policies and the needs and expectations of related stakeholders. In this way, the Group determines risks and opportunities related to these external/internal issues and needs/expectations.
Based on these, we resolve and implement year-long initiatives targeting climate change issues that take into account the risks and opportunities for each department, report the results to the environmental management executive officer, evaluate and analyze the results at meetings of the Environmental Management Committee, and as necessary, revise these risks and opportunities.
To look at a specific example: For the production of silicon wafer, the SUMCO Group makes every effort to streamline production and promote rationalization in order to reduce electric power consumption. When it comes time to update production and utility facilities, we replace them with energy-saving and high-efficiency alternatives. In offices, lighting is turned off during lunchtime and other breaks, and air conditioners are set at a reasonable temperature to save energy.
In Japan, the SUMCO Group takes part in the following initiatives addressing the issues of climate change.
(1) We are part of an industry group (for Japanese electrical and electronics industries) involved in activities supporting the Keidanren's "Commitment to a Low Carbon Society," an initiative that lists, publishes, and implements activities entities themselves can proactively take on to help create a global low carbon society.
(2) We have registered with the Environmental Reporting Platform Development Pilot Project of the Ministry of the Environment. This undertaking encourages the disclosure of environmental information and dialog among parties including companies and investors. It is contributing toward the creation of a sustainable society by helping to ensure that companies actively engaged in environmental activities are properly recognized for their efforts and gain investor funding support as a result.
In 2018, major investment in CO2 reduction totaled 476 million yen.
- CO2 Emissions (SUMCO Group)
- CO2 Emissions per Silicon Wafer (sales)
- Cumulative Reduction of CO2 Emissions
- Electric Power Consumption
- Electric Power Consumption per Silicon Wafer (sales)
Investment in Clean Technologies
We have installed 2.3MW of solar power generation equipment at our Kyushu Factory (Kubara, Imari), and we use and sell renewable energy. Upon replacing production or utility equipment, we also adopt energy-saving or high-efficiency equipment and aim to curtail energy consumption through LED lighting.
CO2 Reduction through Modal Shift to Ship Transport in the Field of Logistics
- CO2 Reduction through Modal Shift to Ship Transport
SUMCO used to rely solely on airfreight for the transportation of silicon wafers to overseas markets. However, to reduce both CO2 emissions and transportation costs, we have been promoting a modal shift to ship transport for some of our products since 2009, taking into account factors affected by longer transportation lead time and changes in the transportation environment. We conduct tests before switching to ship transport to confirm that the quality of products is not affected, as well as consulting with customers.